Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Technology Autobiography

The three most influential communications technologies that I have picked are cellphones, computers, and tablets such as IPad. The three technologies, especially my phone definitely play a major role in my life as a college student. I cannot live without my smartphone because it is like my “second brain.” Whenever I need to look up new information such as definitions, a restaurant’s address or math formulas, I just pull out my phone and google it. I get most of my news through my phone because I do not like to read newspaper. Reading the news becomes much more convenient. Besides that, most of my professors like to post homework solutions, lectures notes, and assignment on BlackBoard, and my assignments are mostly online readings.   Therefore, being able to access the internet using a smartphone or computer makes learning a lot easier. I am still able to catch up with the materials even if I have missed a class, and no longer have to worry about losing the worksheets that my professors give out in class. Besides my smartphone, computer and my Ipad also make me a better learner. Rather than going to the library and checking out some books, I like to read books on Ipad. I am able to read three different books at the same time without having to carry around three books with me. I also use the computer to type essays or do some research. Technology allows learning to take place at anytime and anywhere.
Although technology seems to make our lives easily for the most part, there are also some downsides to the overly reliance on technology. Over the past few years, I have lost some of my “natural” abilities such as communicating with people without constantly checking my phone, and remembering things without setting any reminder in my phone. Now, I can’t chat with people unless I have my phone in my hand, which makes the person whom I chat with feel that I am rude. My ability to retain learning materials is also impacted by the excessive use of technologies. I am used to taking notes by hand, but now, I take notes in class using my computer because it is much faster. Although taking notes becomes so much easily, but I can’t retain as much information as I used to be able to when I take notes by hand. Besides that, computer or cellphone become distracting sometimes when I study for a test or do my homework.  A Facebook or message notification may distract me easily while I am reading an article or writing an essay. Technologies have definitely shaped my life for better and for worse.

There are some similarities and differences between my uses of technologies and the uses of technologies among the young people in the video. In the video, one girl mentions that she learns Japanese through the internet. I also learned some Korean through the internet as well by watching Korean dramas, and listening to Korean songs online. Also, one student mentions how she uses her phone to take photos of her poster boards, and then uploads them online just so other people can also see. Sometimes, I use my phone as a note-taking tool as well. I just take a picture of my friends’ notes when I miss a class so that I am not missing out any new materials. There are also some differences between my uses of technologies as compared to the uses of technologies among the students in the video. One student in the video mentions that he plays games on the computer, and how the communication takes place in the games is similar to the communication between group members in real life. For the most part, I use my computer for schoolwork. I don’t play games on the computer so I do not see the connection that he mentions between games and real life. Most students in the video seem to use technologies for their hobbies such as listening to music, composing music or building a blog, which is very different from my uses of technology. My hobbies do not involve that much use of technology as compared to the hobbies of the students. But for the most part, my uses of technologies are very similar to the uses of technologies among the young people in the video. 

3 comments:

  1. I totally agree with your point about the way that certain languages have become more accessible through the use of technology. I also learned a little bit of Korean through listening to music, as well as some German, and some Japanese. This by no means means that I am fluent in these languages but by hearing these words and learning their meanings it inspired me to look up different letter systems, and ask friends who are fluent to teach me some words. By doing this, foreign languages become more accessible and easily available to anyone who wants to learn them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You bring up very good points when you mention the downfalls on technology. I have not really thought that it could be rude having your phone at constant sight while talking to someone. I do not think I would think anything of it, because someone could be expecting an important call or text, but I can see why someone else might. Except I would find it very rude if I am talking to a person who does not seem to being paying attention to a single word I am saying because of their cellphone. I also find my memory to be very bad. I remember being in elementary school, when I did not have a cellphone I would practically know my whole families phone numbers. Over the years, some numbers have stayed with me, but most have faded. This also applies to other things you have mentioned like due dates and appointments. However, as you also mentioned being a student technology is very helpful especially to have access to what professors put up on blackboard, especially if having missed a day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like you I use my cellphone for everything. I like how you called it your second brain. I use it for mostly the same things as you mentioned above. I also use it as a GPS which comes in handy.

    ReplyDelete