Saturday, November 16, 2013

Collaboration Canvas

      At first, I had a hard time figuring out how to collaborate math with other content area since my unit is so specific to Math. Therefore, I begun to review my classmates’ canvases, eventually choose the Ancient Egypt unit plan canvas to do the remix. The unit focused on the characteristics of Egyptian Art, and this can definitely be collaborated with my unit on polygons because shape is an important element of art. Shapes used in drawings can actually mean something. Therefore, I added a mathematical aspect to the Ancient Egypt unit by first figuring out the grade level that the original unit plan aimed for. The standards actually aimed for both 8th grade, and 12th grade, so I decided to align the collaborated unit with high school geometry standards. Since the two units are very different, I added three videos, and images to make the collaboration. I added the study of the Golden Ratio, and Egyptian architecture like the Great Pyramid to the original unit plan, so that students can understand the geometry behind it. I also added images of paintings and sculpture that could be used to study polygons. To connect the two units, I added two new essential questions, and changed the original essential question by adding a mathematical perspective to it. I asked students to think about the importance of polygons in the context of real life, and art. I did not remove anything from the original canvas because it collaborated with my unit pretty well. 

Remixed Canvas: 

No comments:

Post a Comment