Sunday, November 3, 2013

Unit Plan Canvas

         My unit focuses on the properties and real life applications of the most common types of polygons (quadrilaterals, triangles, and polygons in general). Students will explore the sum of the interior angles using the Angle Sum tool on the Illuminations website, distinguish between polygons, calculating the area of polygons, and etc. The biggest challenge that I encountered when I created the canvas was coming up with an essential question that prepared students for the entire unit. The entire unit consists of different sub-topics such as the study of triangles and parallelograms, and don't necessary go along with each other. Therefore, coming up with an essential question that ties the entire unit together became my biggest challenge. Finding the videos and images were easy because there were many useful resources out there. I found a lot of great videos on YouTube and had to actually get rid of some to avoid putting too much thing on my canvas. Create this canvas really gets me to think about the entire unit, and I had to actually "plan-out" the unit by writing down the topics that will be covered in the unit to write my introduction for the canvas, and jot down standards that will addressed. The canvas is basically a layout of the unit, and I feel that this is helpful to students. They may get a sense of what they will be studying before hand. Introducing the unit through a canvas is a good way to get students started. Therefore, I will absolutely use this in my future classroom.

My Canvas for a Unit on Polygons:
http://www.play.annenberginnovationlab.org/play2.0/challenge.php?idChallenge=2281&mode=view#network6

No comments:

Post a Comment