Sunday, December 15, 2013

GeoGebra

           I have never heard of GeoGebra until my co-worker told me about it. GeoGebra is an interactive geometry, algebra, and calculus application. Just like GSP (Geometry SketchPad), you can construct geometric figures, and uses the software to calculate the angle measures. Besides that, you can also input an algebra equation, and then the software can graph it, and solve it for you. There are so many other built in features and functions that you may need to spend some time figuring out. What makes this so special is that the application is free. You can just install it onto your computer, and then keep it forever. Unlike most Math software such as Maple, or GSP, you have a limited access time. I really like it once I start using. As a future teacher, I would love to incorporate it into my lessons, and introduce it to my students. because it is free, and you can do so much with it. It is a good software to have because students may use it to check their answers. They can use it as a free graphing calculator as well. If I'm teaching Geometry in the future, I will definitely use it to teach geometric theorems. Students may learn how to prove or make conjectures by doing geometric constructions using the software. It is a great tool that teachers shall really consider using in their classrooms.

3 comments:

  1. Wow that is really cool! As a physics major that is something that I would really want to use to teach about three dimension vectors. I never heard about this, but it is great how interactive technology is to help students learn about math and physics. I bet it would be something that would spark natural interest into students to learn math.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing! I have always wanted to tool around with GSP again but I only ever bought a one year access code and never had the money to afford it again. This is definitely something that would work great in a geometry class and would help students better understand the relationship between sides, angles, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is awesome! I never knew that there was a program like this! It would be so helpful as a teacher, but even as a student, I wish I knew about it. I think that it is so important to be able to create the visual of a shape or graph accurately, and if this program is going to be doing it free of charge, I think it should be introduced to classes.

    ReplyDelete